What are the ULMS Young Professionals all about?
The Urban League of Metropolitan Seattle Young Professionals (ULMS-YPs) is a volunteer auxiliary group that targets young adults ages 21-40 to empower their communities and change lives through the Urban League Movement. As one component of the National Urban League, Young Professional chapters across the country support their local affiliates by focusing on uplifting five key areas of empowerment: education and youth; workforce development; public health; civic engagement and advocacy; and housing.
Interested in joining our chapter?
- Complete a ULMS-YP Membership application (click link or use button below).
- Once your application has been received, you will be sent an invoice to pay your one-time annual membership dues fee (see more information on dues below).
- After your invoice has been paid, you will receive a confirmation via email with your membership details. Then you’re officially a ULMS-YP member!
Young Professionals at a Glance
We define a ‘Young Professional’ as anyone between the ages of 21-40 who is committed to their career and personal development – no matter the chosen occupation.
We are all dedicated to our community; committed to seeking innovative solutions to persistent societal problems; and motivated to excel and prosper in our professional and personal endeavors.
The ULMS Young Professionals (ULMS-YPs) group was first realized through the vision of three diligent young professionals — (1) Jeanette James, (2) Gina Moore Saunders, and (3) Angela Brooks — under the auspices of its local affiliate, the Urban League of Metropolitan Seattle (ULMS).
Since 2005, the ULMS-YPs have supported both the local Seattle affiliate as well as emerging local leaders by providing opportunities for personal and professional development, networking, volunteering and leadership.
To be eligible for membership in the Urban League of Metropolitan Seattle Young Professionals, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be between the ages of 21 – 40
- Pay the annual $60.00 membership dues
- Live or work in the Greater Seattle/King County Area
Listed below are just a few of the major benefits that dues-paying members of ULMS-YP enjoy:
- Invitations to exclusive ‘Member Only’ events
- Access to the private ULMS-YP Facebook group (Forums, Job Board, early ULMS-YP Announcements, Member Directory, etc.)
- Networking with Community and Business Leaders
- Input on future ULMS-YP activities, events, & committees
- Exclusive Membership only ULMS-YP Merchandise
- Free tickets to the Urban League’s Annual Breakfast
- Additional on-site event perks (VIP, free food/drinks, etc.)
- Membership dues are tax deductible
General body meetings for the ULMS-YPs will be held bi-monthly (except for July & August) at 6:00P.M. beginning January 19, 2023.
Meetings will be held in-person (unless otherwise noted) and are closed to non-members.
PLEASE NOTE: only official ULMS-YP members may vote during general body meetings and/or hold committee management positions. General body meeting location details will be provided upon membership completion.
- The annual membership dues fee is $60.00.
- Dues shall be paid via Invoice by the 31st day of July (or within 30 days of the start of the fiscal year) to avoid a $15 late fee.
- Dues that have not been received by the end of the fiscal year (June 30) will result in membership termination and require a reinstatement fee of $40.
- Do I have to be an official member to participate with ULMS-YPs? No. Community members can still participate in and attend ULMS-YP events & activities. Only official ULMS-YP members will receive exclusive invitations to member only events, discounts and/or free entrance for high-profile ULMS and/or ULMS-YP activities, and free ULMS-YP member only merchandise. If you’re not quite ready to become a YP or just interested in staying in the loop with our chapter, be sure to join the public YP email subscriber list for free at the bottom of this page!
- Why do I need to pay membership dues? A one-time annual dues payment is required of all active ULMS-YP members. This ensures that the chapter has funding support from its members to use for ULMS-YP activities, events, and programs.
- What if I can’t pay my dues membership all at once? There will be periodic discounts on membership fees throughout the year to take advantage of to reduce the cost of membership. Be sure you are subscribed to our ULMS-YP email subscriber list to learn when these opportunities arise!
The National Urban League Young Professionals (NULYPs) was unveiled at the 1999 National Urban League Annual Conference in Houston, TX. Marcus Mitchell assumed the role of President and under his leadership the organization began to define itself and to carve out its role in the National Urban League movement.
To visit the National Urban League Young Professionals website, please click here.
Have more questions that weren’t answered on this page?
MEMBERSHIP: For more information about ULMS Young Professionals chapter membership, please send an email to: email@example.com.
GENERAL: For all other general inquiries, please feel free to send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join the ULMS-YP Email Subscriber List!
Do it for the culture! Want to stay in the loop with all things ULMS-YP related? Let us count you in and you’ll get instant access to:
- Priority Notification for Ticketing & Events
- First Look Access for New Programming & Services
- Exclusive ULMS/ULMS-YP Content Designed to Help You Empower & Change Lives in Your Community
- Urban League of Metropolitan Seattle Updates